preparing for WINTER weather
The Office of Emergency Services monitors developing weather for any significant changes. Don't forget to sign up for alerts in case of an emergency.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
- Check on your family and neighbors, especially those living alone
- Make sure your pets are secure and safe out of the elements
- Discuss emergency plans in advance
- Keep an emergency kit in an easy-access location
Around the House and in Your Car:
- Clear debris from gutters and downspouts
- Store outdoor furniture, lawn equipment, and decorations properly
- Secure outdoor plants or cover with blankets or plastic to prevent freezing
- Learn where your water shutoff valves are in case a pipe bursts
- Do not bring heating devices in doors that are intended for outdoor use, such as barbecues or other fuel-burning devices
- Insulate pipes and allow faucets to drip during cold weather to avoid freezing
- Prepare your vehicle for cold weather
- Keep extra blankets, food, and water in your vehicle
- Drive safely and slowly
- Avoid downed power lines
Complete information about social services can be accessed by dialing 2-1-1 or (916) 498-1000, or visiting Sacramento 2-1-1.
City of Sacramento calls for service
If there is street flooding (that is not eased by moving leaves off a drain grate), trees down, street signs, streetlights or traffic signals out, visit the City’s online request tool at Sacramento 311 or dial 3-1-1.
For more information on how the City prepares for storms and what you can do, visit our Storm Preparedness page.
Sacramento County calls for service
For localized street flooding, downed trees or branches in the roadway, call (916) 875-5171.
For water, sewer, or drainage issues, call (916) 875-7246.
Information on creek levels, visit Storm Ready.
For life-threatening emergencies, contact 911.
For electrical power outages in Sacramento County, contact SMUD at 1-888-456-7683, or PG&E at 1-800-743-5000.
County residents can dial 2-1-1 OR (916) 875-5656 for more information.
Residents of the City of Sacramento can dial 3-1-1 for general inquiries.